The University of Southern California (USC) is a private, non-profit university, and known as California’s oldest private research university. They have the largest number of international students of any university in the United States and offer comprehensive opportunities for internships. With a tradition of merging liberal and professional education, USC encourages a vibrant culture of public service and stimulates students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
Established in 1880 in Los Angeles, USC opened with 53 students and 10 teachers and tuition was $15.00 a term. Today, the university has more than 38,000 students and nearly 3,500 full-time faculty, a much higher tuition and is located in the heart of one of largest cities in the world.
University of Southern California [USC] | Facts and Figures
- 20% of 46,104 freshmen applicants were admitted in the 2012-2013 academic year.
- 3.70 unweighted GPA for entering freshman class.
- 14% of freshmen were first generation college students.
- 251 National Merit Scholars in the 2012 freshman class.
The University of Southern California (USC) is one of the few premier research institutions on which we depend for a steady stream of new knowledge, art and technology. USC has more than $650 million dollars in annual research expenditures and consistently ranks among the top 10 private universities in federally supported research activity. On September 15, 2011, USC launched a capital campaign to raise $6 billion dollars over the next seven years. By Summer 2017, that number had been surpassed.  
Michael Quick, Yannis C. Yortsos, Raymond C. Stevens, Peter Kuhn, Scott Fraser, Ellis Meng, Steve Kay: Bridge@USC Michelson [2015-11-25. University of Southern California]
- USC announces fundraising campaign continuation as it reaches goal ahead of schedule [2017-02-15. Lynn Lipinski. USC News]
- The Campaign for USC Hits $6 Billion and Keeps on Going [Summer 2017. Lynn Lipinski. USC Trojan Family]